The uncertainty of the coronavirus’ impact can undoubtedly affect your mental and physical state. With so many local schools and businesses closed and the push for social distancing there’s no better time than now to find a peaceful escape outside. Getting a little bit of outdoor exercise everyday can lighten your mood, lower your stress, boost creativity, and help your cardiovascular health. Today we’re sharing our list of the Top 8 Outdoor Hikes in the Greater Fredericksburg area.
The weather forecast is looking rather soggy and cloudy; therefore, suit up in boots, raincoats and umbrellas. Finally, before heading to a public area check with the individual parks to verify their operating status and follow any CDC guidelines including social distancing.
Outdoor Hiking Ideas:
- Fredericksburg/Spotsy Battlefield (throughout Spotsylvania & Fredericksburg) – combine history and exercise at this park. It features outdoor trails for walking, running or driving and information signage about the historical events along the way.
- Curtis Memorial Park (Stafford) – features fields of open green space for playing and running and a few nature trails through the woods. It also has huge pavilions and lots of shaded trees, perfect for picnics!
- Walking around Chatham Manor (Fredericksburg) – walk around the outside of Chatham Manor, a gorgeous Georgian mansion. You will see beautiful views of the Rappahannock River and the grounds of the plantation. Chatham Manor served as the Union headquarters and hospital during the Battle of Fredericksburg in the Civil War.
- Canal Path/Heritage Trail Loop (downtown Fredericksburg) – about a 3 mile paved loop. The loop trail parallels the Rappahannock River, canal and other downtown places. It offers a mix of sunny and shaded spots. The trail is great for escaping from the hustle and bustle and catching beautiful views of the water.
- Alum Spring Park (south Fredericksburg) – 35-acre park features outdoor walking paths great for birding, picnics, play and exploring history. This park used to be the site of an old ice house and grist mill. The walking path meanders through the woods and over the water.
- Government Island (Stafford) – 17-acre park with nature trail along the water’s edge and beautiful boardwalk. Great place to explore animal habitats in wetlands and creeks.
- Willowmere Park (Stafford) – features 0.75 mile paved walking trail with fields of open green space and sports fields. Great spot for kicking soccer ball around, throwing a frisbee or flying a kite.
- Hiking Trails at Motts Run Reservoir – features 4 miles from easy to moderate hiking trails through the woods near the reservoir. This park has a variety of wildlife, great picnic spots, and beautiful views of the lake.
Finally, if job hunting is your priority right now, don’t forget to view our list of available jobs. Call us to schedule a video job interview and fill out a job application online – all from the comforts of your home!